Monday, August 24, 2015

Prep Part III -- Wiring the 110 vac Side and Remote Switch for the Inverter into the Cabin

This morning I have been tackling installing the 10-2 Romex wiring from the inverter 110vac outlet to a standard 110vac outlet inside the cabin of the trailer.  It's not a lot of fun crawling around inside the basement of the trailer, but I got it done.  Here are some pictures.

Outlet box installed inside cabin
Outlet box basement side
10-2 Romex with Plug coming off Inverter
10-2 Romex cable run in basement to box
Finished--it works!
Now I just need to mount the remote inverter switch.  It will sit just to the right of the receptacle above.  Once that is in and tested I will squirt some sealant and caulking to seal up any holes, etc..

All the wiring is done and everything works.  Pictures.

Finished wire runs & dressing
Remote switch wire dressing
(I left all the white wire in case I want to move the switch at some point.)
Off
On -- It works!!
I am glad to have this done.  Now I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit and see how it does with some real-world uses.  I know it will run the TV and I'm pretty sure it will power our little 750 Watt toaster, but I'm really curious to see if it will drive our microwave.  The microwave is 900 Watts output, but says it draws 1350 Watts total, so that may stretch the 1100 Watt microwave.  

I did a bit of testing and everything I plugged into the inverter worked great.  Now I will preface this with the fact that the trailer was plugged into shore power, so the converter was supplying power to charge the battery while I was testing the inverter.  Anyway, here are my results.  The suspense is over!!

TV:                          Worked great                      Pulled 57 Watts on the Inverter meter
Toaster:                  Worked great                      Pulled 756 Watts
Microwave:            Yes, it worked great            Pulled 978 Watts


Here's the 978 Watts driving the microwave!
I actually boiled a cup of water in the microwave without any trouble at all.  I am really happy with the new inverter setup!!

The inverter install is complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment