Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The New Truck Tonneau Cover

I decided I wanted a tonneau cover for the new truck to not only keep things put in the bed dry, but also keep water, leaves, acorns and other assorted trash from collecting in the bed of the truck. We had some rain a few days ago and since the truck rear is a bit higher than the front it had collected about 2-3 inches of water in the front of the bed.  This water comes pouring out the back of the bed once the truck is put in motion going forward.

After several hours of research on the web I decided I would buy a premium tonneau cover from one of the oldest makers in the USA (yes, the cover is made in the USA).  I picked the number one selling tonneau cover in the USA--the Truxedo Lo Pro QT (South Dakota).  To make absolutely sure I got the correct unit for my truck I ordered it by phone from Tonneau Covers World.com, a division of AutoCustoms.  I stressed to them that I had to receive it this week because I was going out of town next week (RV trip) and they said it would not be a problem getting it to me this week.  Being a premium cover it was not inexpensive at $534 (with sales tax included), but the shipping was free and FAST!  I ordered it Monday and it arrived the next day!  All Truxedo products have a lifetime (original owner) warranty and from reading many, many reviews this cover should last a long time and Truxedo's warranty service is reported as being outstanding!

It was quick and easy to install.  I think it took me about 10 minutes to install it and maybe another 10-15 minutes to make any adjustments.  Two side rails go on easily with three clamps each.  No drilling.

I really like it.  Here are some pictures.  It looks great on the truck and since I have a locking tailgate is fairly secure, since the tailgate has to be opened to access the latch.





This is a roll up cover and a big plus is that if I need to transport something in the bed higher than the bed rails the cover can be easily rolled up to the front of the bed and secured with a couple of straps.  For that matter the cover can easily be removed entirely by sliding back the latch on each side.




It takes all of about 30 seconds to roll the tonneau cover to the front and secure the two clip on straps and about that long to unstrap it, roll it back down, latch it, then snug the sides on the Velcro strips nice and tight.

I am looking forward to some rain so I can see how dry the inside stays.  ;-)  

UPDATE 11/29/15:  After a few fairly light rains the inside has stayed nice and dry.



No comments:

Post a Comment